Ag Econ 3295 Real Money: Speculative Trading for Beginners
This course is an online seminar course for which the instructor primarily serves as a facilitator, organizer, and evaluator for students who will learn components of futures and options market trade recommendations. In particular students will be expected to be able to effectively:
- Provide both written and verbal defense of commodity market trade recommendations.
- Critically and professionally evaluate trade recommendations of others.
- Critically evaluate own trade recommendations.
- Understand how to monitor financial status of open market positions.
- Understand price risk faced by speculative positions.
- Distinguish levels of potential return and price risk across different traded commodities.
- Distinguish alternatives means of limiting risk in futures and options trading.
Ag Econ 4251 Agricultural Prices
By the end of this course, students will be able to calculate variations in prices of agricultural products and identify the underlying factors that have an impact on those variations. Students will also gain the skills to analyze historical price data and learn how to forecast prices based on past and present price information.
- To develop a conceptual framework for understanding the functions of agricultural markets and the role and determination of market prices
- To develop quantitative skills in analyzing historical and current price data and in formulating price forecasts.
Ag Econ 2183 Agriculture Marketing System
Ag Econ 2183 analyzes marketing systems that transform agricultural products into food products and examines functions and institutions in marketing and distributing food from both micro and macro perspectives.
To enable students to understand the organization and operation of the global agricultural marketing system.
Purpose of Course
Provide students with an opportunity to:
- Understand the economic forces that operate in global agricultural markets.
- Become acquainted with the myriad of institutions, rules, regulations, and other factors that define the global agricultural marketing system
- Define an understanding of how these economic forces and institutions jointly determine the level of production, consumption, and prices of agricultural commodities and food products in the U.S.